* Identify new business opportunities - including new markets, growth areas, trends, customers, products and services.
* Seek out the appropriate contact in an organisation.
* Generate leads and cold call prospective customers.
* Meet with customers/clients face to face or over the phone.
* Understand the needs of your customers and be able to respond effectively with a plan of how to meet these.
* Think strategically - seeing the bigger picture and setting aims and objectives in order to develop and improve the business.
* Work strategically - carrying out necessary planning in order to implement operational changes.
*Draw up client contracts - depending on the size of company, this task may be completed by someone else or agreements may not be as formal.
* Have a good understanding of the businesses' products or services and be able to advise others about them.
* Ensure staff are on board throughout the organisation, and understand the need for change and what is required of them.
* Train members of team, arranging external training where appropriate.
* Seek ways of improving the way the business operates
* Attend seminars, conferences and events where appropriate
* Keep abreast of trends and changes in the business world.